Re: XB-40 in C: high notes squeaking?

In a message dated 9/23/03 8:57:24 AM, laurent.vigouroux@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> 've just got my XB-40 in C and I have had some trouble bending the holes
> above 7. The notes squeak. It's even worse for the 10th hole where I have to
> shape my mouth as for bending in order to obtain a note.
>
> I'm a little bit surprise as I'm not too bad at bending and overblowing.
>
> Is it only a technique problem or can I do some tweaking (gapping?) to
> improve the response?
>
> Thanks for your help

    I got my XB yesterday, in C, and I feel the same. I can barely get a
sound out of 10 blow. I had a little trouble at first with low blow note bends,
too, but that's getting better. but I feel the top 3 holes are way too stiff. I
am not as impressed with mine as I expected. In fact, I would guess, as far as
technique is concerned, you could get a standard diatonic set up well and
learn OB's just as easily.
FYI, I can overblow, but don't try them much when I'm playing out.
On the other hand, I am seeing some nice possibilities with the XB for more
expressiveness on blow notes and esp first position melody playing. We'll see,
how things go, but I hope the thing breaks in soon. I had some problems, too,
on five blow, getting two notes at a time... but that went away.
   More work, I guess, and see what happens.

Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp