re: was Big Walter, now technique

There have been some comments on the list about custom harps, equipment, and
the old blues sound. What did the old masters have that we don't have? A
close knit vibrant, active community of top notch musicians-musicians that
were willing to take young people under their wing and teach them.

James Cotton was playing professionally with Sonny Boy Williamson at age 13.
You think that helped his tone? Paul Butterfield got to learn from everyone
in Chicago. Yes we have excellent harp instructors now-no denying it. Back
then people could learn from many different musicians, learn the rhythm from
the drums and bass, learn phrasing from the horns and vocals, learn
showmanship etc.

The 21st Century has advantages. We have a music library available on line
that's unbelievable. We have discussion groups. Equipment is cheaper and
better. Unfortunately there's a disconnect-no one is teaching the young kids
the tools of the trade. Music has become some kind of creative mumbo jumbo
magic with no one explaining the actuall craft of making music-the nuts and
bolts.We have access to really good instruments.What we need is more of the
grandmasters in the old martial arts meaning of the word, people who's whole
life revolves around music that take young people under their wing and
really show them how to play. There's a few out there now, Jerry Portnoy
comes to mind. Charlie Musselwhite is always generous with his tips and
advice.

We'll see pockets of musical greatness in different parts of the world at
different times. Whether it will happen again for harmonica players is
unknown. So learning your equipment and practicing your chops is important,
but hanging out and learning from other musicians is just as important.
Likewise, spending time wworking with beginning musicians is necessary to
keep the music flowing.

Rainbow Jimmy