Re: Valve stoppers

  Jimmy Day says

>  I am starting to play 270's & 64 Chromatics in the style of George
Smith,Rod Piazza,Mark Hummel, Dennis Grueling et. al.

>   Many times while playing live I am choked off by the valve
stoppers, paticularly with big chords and "bends."
>  Before I potentially mangle these expensive harps, do people snip
or remove these valve stoppers and if so will it damage my harps.

Jimmy, don't do it!

Put down the scissors, and move AWAY from the harmonica.... <G>

Seriously, don't. It's not the valves (windsavers); if you're choking
notes and having trouble bending, it's your technique, (probably) NOT
the harmonica. Chromatics play differently (in terms of embouchure)
than 'tonics.

They don't bend as far, and they take a completely different "touch"
to bend.
Leave the valves on - they make the harmonica a lot more airtight &
playable.
They also give the notes a more abrupt attack that is part of the
signature of the chrom sound (that those guys are famous for).

- -Scorcher