Re: playing harp professionally

At 04:43 PM 10/30/2003 -0500, Larry Pratt wrote:
<...>
>The more you get your name around, the more people will remember to call
>you when the time comes.   I use to think the difference between a
>professional and an amateur is the professionals get paid.  I think the
>real difference is not about getting paid.  Its about passion.  You do
>this because you want to do it, in your heart.  You can't do it enough.
>When I'm free of the day-job shackles, Ill spend my whole day doing
>something with a harmonica.......and hopefully make a little money on
>the side.

Larry, your words ring true and well-considered.  I was about to comment on
another topic but in similar vein, but don't think I could add much to your
excellent post... but, oh well... I gotta try!  ;)

I'm often struck by the juxtaposition of the words "retire" and "professional
musician" in sentences I read.  Truly, with the music scene today, probably
pretty much always [unless you're an in-demand "star", I guess,] I suspect,
there's hardly any way for most musicians to fully support themselves, and/or
a family, working fulltime at the craft.  What I do know, and not from
experience as I don't play out, but from observation of my son who's a
keyboardist in a 5-piece band, is that nobody on the outside looking in can
really grasp what's entailed.  And every situation is different.

In my son's case, he has a well-paid job with the State, but craves [age 25]
to go "fulltime musician".  He's pretty good, I admit, and he believes in
himself, but not everyone in the band is flush as he is, for one thing, and
he supports them more than I think he realizes, "because he can".  One big
aspect is having to branch out to become regionally known, across states,
etc.  There is travel time away from jobs to arrange, cost of travel in gas,
auto upkeep, hotels, food, packing and unpacking gear.  Then, someone must
handle contacts with venues, make up and get printed handouts and fliers;
keep the newspapers informed of your every gig; contacting radio personnel
for same; building and maintaining a website, pretty important these days...
keeping it updated and answering message board mail; keeping your band's name
and schedule known and posted on other regional websites for your out-of-town
gigs.  Then, of course, there is new gear and repaired gear; maybe paying a
booking agent to keep an ear to the ground on your crew's behalf; and time
always needed for gigs, practice 2-3 times a week, band meetings to hash out
inevitable personality and other internal problems -- always there in the
dynamics of any band, believe me!  And of course, if you want to cut a CD or
even produce privately some demo CDs on your computer to handout for a few
bucks, or more usual, free, to fans, this can run up bills you may not
imagine, as with printing, booking, website hosting, etc.  All must figure in.

Ok.  That's just what ~I~ see.  And, he still wants to give up $30,000/year
to go on the road.  Guess what Mom advises?!  Yeah, I know... they've got
something going, for sure... they sat in replacement for Derek Trucks Band on
a live feed out of Atlanta last weekend and tonight are opening for Robert
Randolph and the Family Band locally.  But he was just in a band that is now
fading into obscurity that just a year ago had all the same chills and
thrills up and down the spine that this band has now.  Stuff happens.

What Mom advises?!  Well, actually, I remind him that keyboards are hard to
replace without money, and one of his needs repair right now, and his car air
conditioning just went out during a third 250-mile roundtrip to cut their
first CD in an out-of-town studio.  But, I know what he loves, and I just
tell him that it may not last, but if he must, I understand... and honestly,
don't blame him.  He can find another job, maybe not as good for awhile, but
to find four other people who jibe and create and excite fans like this one
does, it may be his one time to experience the extreme joy of doing what he
loves most, if even for just awhile.  So, yeah... go ahead and try if you're
driven, I tell him.

But, secretly, I sure hope he sticks around.  Hey... I'm still a Mom first,
ya know! :)

Jason... good luck if you go for it, but talk to other musicians as you said
you wish you'd done... do it!  Find out the nature of the scene where you'll
be working; you may be better off relocating, even a short distance away, in
order to fit in better; i.e., get gigs!  And don't be too lured by the big
music capitals of the world, as there's a lot to be said for being a big fish
in a small pond instead of another guppie in LA or something! ;)  And
remember the business side must be taken care of by you or someone else, and
it can be daunting.  Find a booker [agent, fixer, etc.] and at least talk
about what your prospects are locally, and invite him/her to come out and
hear you perform.  But be ready to do most all of your own self-promoting...
and there will be LOTS of it if you're going to make it.  Your own legwork is
going to have to do for quite some time in the beginning.

Again, good luck, and I hope we hear of your raging success in the very near
future!  Knock 'em dead!!!

Gotta run... great couple bands to see and hear tonight!  [Oh, yeah, my son
Tony's band is XINGU! :)  Still a Mom in every way! ;))) ]

Cheers to all!

=[BOBBIE]=

||  h a r p  s p o k e n  h e r e  || SPAH Members Support Harp-L! ||