Re: playing harp professionally

Jason..............As I approach an early retirement age, I have often
considered this same question.  I currently have a day job, family,
mortagage, etc.  I think my annuity (and wife's income) will pay for the
essentials.  Can I retire and become a "professional" musician?  My
thoughts are to establish several lines of income; 1) playing in
multiple bands.  I agree with my sailing buddy Jimmy, duets/trios are
easier to book than full bands.  but there are a lot of different knids
of bands I'd like to play in.   A lot of clubs just don't give up enough
floor space for full bands.  2) instruction, get a couple of students,
3) recording studio session work.  It takes a lot to break into this
scene.  You gotta go around and bang on the doors, leave them something
you've done and hope for a call back.  4)  I also speak at elementary
schools, day camps, etc.  There is a little circuit through the public
schoool system that pays in the neighborhood of $300 for a one hour talk
on the harmonicas.  5) Song writing.  Finally I trade in antique
harmonicas.

None of these would support me financially.  Hell they all of don't
support me now.  But when I "retire" and have all day to pursue my
interests, I'll be happy, regardless of the income.  The upshot of all
this is you gotta make it happen for you.  You gotta get out and meet
people, publicize yourself, play with any band that shows an interest.
The more you get your name around, the more people will remember to call
you when the time comes.   I use to think the difference between a
professional and an amateur is the professionals get paid.  I think the
real difference is not about getting paid.  Its about passion.  You do
this because you want to do it, in your heart.  You can't do it enough.
When I'm free of the day-job shackles, Ill spend my whole day doing
something with a harmonica.......and hopefully make a little money on
the side.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com