Re: Auto-Wah for Harp

I have a couple of different envelope followers (AKA auto-wah), a very old
ElectroHarmonix Q-something or other (Dr Q?), and I think some sort of Boss
or DOD box of more recent vintage - it could be the AW-3.  They're nice for
harp IF you use a percussive attack like Lee Oskar (i.e. Low Rider).  If you
play all the notes at the same constant volume, envelope followers are
pretty worthless.  They react to your volume.

When I use mine, I set it for a pretty minimal level of effect, so you don't
really notice it.

One of the nicest "synth" type sounds I've found for harmonica is from the
pitch shifter in my Digitech RP-100.  I set mine to an octave below, and it
tracks flawlessly, single notes, chords, honks, quacks, whatever.
Unfortunately, the Digitech doesn't allow multiple effects in that bank,
like Leslie speaker (also very nice), etc.  But at $100 back then (and
probably less today), it's hard to justify serious complaints.  If it were a
biggie, I'd just buy another one or two, or add on some outboard stomp
boxes.

I like to use effects like salt, lightly and sparingly, to impart a slight
variation in my harmonica sound.  A little salt brings out the natural
flavor.  Too much makes it unpalatable.

LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://d852737.u327.webnewport.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://d852737.u327.webnewport.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://d852737.u327.webnewport.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://d852737.u327.webnewport.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
Live video of IronMan http://www.studiocam.org/rplayer/rplayermc56.htm

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
2nd & 4th Sunday, after football, The Crest, Torrance
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine