Re: Reed Tuning/wondering pitch

>>From: Pat Missin <pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>One of the most important tips I can give anyone tuning a harmonica
>>(and one that is conspicuousy absent from most of the books and videos
>>on the topic) is to ensure that the reedplates are warmed before
>>tuning the reeds. They don't need to be hot, just a little above body
>>temperature will prevent the condensation build-up that can affect
>>reed performance. It's a good thing to warm them before playing as
>>well.
>>

>Excellent advice Pat.
>
>Everytime I work on tuning blow reeds, I find myself having to wipe
>off the condensation after each test. Warming up the reeds is so
>obvious, but of course, I would never think to do it. (duh)

   IF, having a (real) problem with "Final" tuning the blow reeds, one
could use a fish filter pump. There is NO condensation and a STEADY
stream of air (preventing quavers). Draw reeds won't be as much a
problem because you are DRAWING and there isn't the moisture problem
(unless you're in a shower), and a draw breath can be more easily
controlled and steadied with the larnyx.

  Just a thought....smo-joe