Re: Reed Tuning/wondering pitch

>From: Pat Missin <pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>One of the most important tips I can give anyone tuning a harmonica
>(and one that is conspicuousy absent from most of the books and videos
>on the topic) is to ensure that the reedplates are warmed before
>tuning the reeds. They don't need to be hot, just a little above body
>temperature will prevent the condensation build-up that can affect
>reed performance. It's a good thing to warm them before playing as
>well.

Excellent advice Pat.

Everytime I work on tuning blow reeds, I find myself having to wipe off the
condensation after each test. Warming up the reeds is so obvious, but of
course, I would never think to do it. (duh)

Warming up the reeds before playing is also a good move, especially now that
the cold weather is coming.

Unfortunately, after setting up a PA and two amps, tuning my guitars, and
making sure the band is set up and ready to go, warming up the reeds usually
gets lost in the shuffle for me!

So Pat, what method(s) do you use to warm up the reeds, both in the repair
shop and on location at a performance?

Thanks.

Jimbeau

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa