Re: Reed Tuning/wondering pitch

Dave Fowler wrote:

>An open question. All suggestions appreciated.
>
>When I'm tuning my reeds using a digital chromatic tuner
>it is clear that some of the reeds, most commonly the
>highest pitch ones wander in pitch up and down as much as
>plus or minus 25% of a semitone.
>
>Some of them are obvious to the ear that they wander all over the place.
>I'm not talking about a change in pitch over days, I'm talking
>seconds- up and down, and up and down. I'm also not talking about
>pitch bending, or particular embouchure changes. I'm trying to get one clear
>repeatable, measurable pitch so I can fine tune the reed.

It can take a while to develop a good consistent sounding technique
for tuning. Like most other things, it is a matter of practice. Often
very small variations in pressure and embouchure can make big
differences on the tuning meter.

Also the microphone can often make a big difference. The built-in
mikes of some tuners are prone to misreading notes on the harmonica.
However, as you mention that the changes you're talking about are
sometime obvious to the ear, this is obviously not the primary
problem. Even so, you might find that using an external microphone may
give you more stable readings on your tuner.

>Some of the lower pitch reeds, particularly blow reeds will gradually
>go flat over a period of about 60 seconds while I'm playing them,
>probably due to condensation on the reed, but this is not the main problem.

Condensation build-up on blow reeds can be a problem, but I usually
find that it affects the pitch of the higher reeds more than the lower
reeds.

One of the most important tips I can give anyone tuning a harmonica
(and one that is conspicuousy absent from most of the books and videos
on the topic) is to ensure that the reedplates are warmed before
tuning the reeds. They don't need to be hot, just a little above body
temperature will prevent the condensation build-up that can affect
reed performance. It's a good thing to warm them before playing as
well.

 -- Pat.