Re: Romelized

RE: Romelized

> > Scorcher says:
> > Mr. Romel not only manufactures superb Customs, he will also
customise
> > YOUR chromatic, and I understand he specializes in old,
straight-tuned
> > 64s.

> Bob Laughton responds:
> Scorcher - congratulations! Sounds like a great harp!
> What is "straight-tuned"? I've yet to encounter that term.

Bob, Solo-tuned ("regular") chromatics are referred to as either
"straight-tuned", or "cross-tuned" - a term that specifically
references the slide configuration - really, it's a confusing term,
but has become ingrained in the chromatic lexicon, so I & others
continue to perpetuate it.

"Straight-Tuned" in this context means that all the holes in the slide
are on the SAME side of the comb when the slide is either in or out.
Like a Hohner 270, when you look at the mouthpiece, all the holes are
on top (slide in), and when you push the button, all the holes are on
the bottom.

"Cross-Tuned" chromatics, like modern Hohner 280s, CX-12s, Chromettas,
have a "Checkerboard" pattern showing through the mouthpiece that
alternates top-bottom-top-bottom, etc. for successive holes.

Some players believe that straight-tuned harmonicas are superior for
at least 2 reasons:
1. Repair is (theoretically) easier because you know the key of the
reed you're working on based on which reedplate you have in your hand.
(C# for one plate, C for the other)
2. The slide throw is shorter on a straight-tuned chromatic.

I'm not a proficient enough player for slide throw to matter, and I
don't work MUCH on my chromatics, but I like the aesthetics of a
straight-tuned, pre-war Chromonika III, (especially my new one) and
they feel GOOD to me, so I'm sticking to them.

One practical reason, however, is that if ALL my 16-holers are
straight-tuned, I have a larger pool of "spares" to draw from....

- -Scorcher