Re: speakers and Ebay

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "alciere" <alciere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 8:51 AM
Subject: speakers and Ebay

> I'm planning to update my rig. I have a silver face Bassman I want to
> upgrade to blackface specs, and I want to use a 12 inch speaker rather
than
> the massive 15 inch ported bass speaker I use  now(I use the amp for keys
as
> well). It looks like I can buy a new Celston speaker for between $90-100,
> get a sheet of plywood and talk someone into soldering and have a
guaranteed
> speaker, or spend $40 on Ebay for a really cool speaker cabinet from the
> 50s. What are chances that a 50 year old speaker will still work? All
things
> being equal looks are important.
>
> Rainbow Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,
There is some risk when it comes to buying used speakers because a lot of
changes can happen to a speaker in 50 years. Let's take the classic Jensen
P10R speakers found in a real '59 Bassman as an example, and you are
attempting to buy one used, assuming that it does work. How do you know if
it has been worked on at some point in time? Sometimes you can tell and
sometimes you cannot. If it has been worked on, things to think about are:

a. Has it been reconed, and if it has, did they used the EXACT same speaker
paper in the process?
b. Were the voice coils wound the same way as it originally was?
c. Is the voice coil the same size as it was originally?
d. Did they use the EXACT same glue, as well as the glueing technique that
was used originally?
e. Is it wired up the same as the original?

Why these questions? You may think these things are very minor, but subtle
little things like those will often times DRASTICALLY alter the sound of the
speaker, and before you even think of parting with your hard earned money
for it, get more info on the product so you know what to look for.
Personally, I'd rather see it up close and personal if at all possible, and
with the Ebay seller, make sure you ask him/her all of those questions and
let them know UPFRONT that if you find that what they tell you is anything
but the truth, you'll stop payment on them and they will be returned at
their expense.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA