From: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Winslow Yerxa
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 11:16 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: Country and Western harmonica

Check out a few other folks, often on other people's records:

Kirk "Jellyroll" Johnson (current - works mostly as a Nashville
session man and has a solo CD, often comes to SPAH conventions)

Terry Macmillan (current, does a lot of high-profile session work)

Jimmie Riddle (historical - played with Roy Acuff and appeared on Hee
Haw, made a couple of solo albums)

Lonnie Glosson (historical)

Wayne Raney (historical)

Glosson had a long solo career, played harp in a rack with guitar. He
had a checkered career as hobo, radio pitchman, and storyteller - I
saw him in Memphis in '94, sing, playing, and telling colorful
stories of being shanghaid into unpaid labor on a riverboat and then
escaping. I believe some of this stuff is available on video, in
addition to a few lps and the occasional 78 floating arund - some of
it may have been reissued on CD.

Raney was a student of Glosson who had a very successful recording
and radio career ("Why Don't You Haul off and Love Me?") in the
late '40s - early '50s). His recordings are readily available.

Glosson and Raney played together as a two-harp duo backing the
Delmore brothers in a sort of pre-rockabilly band in the late 1940s.

Phil (ot P.T.) Gazell and T.J. (Tommy Jon) Klay are other names that
come to mind, but I don't know a lot about them.

WInslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M. Erickson" <erickm@xxxx>
wrote:
I want to get more into C&W harp. I've got CDs by Charlie McCoy, lots
of
Willie Nelson, and have just ordered a Clint Black CD. Can any one
recommend
essential C&W harp recordings that I may be missing?
- --- End forwarded message ---

- --
Harp-l is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org
Hosted by ValuePricehosting.com, http://www.valuepricehosting.com