Re: Feedback on Fender Blues Junior amp

Hey Sandra,

- --- Sandra Laviolette <slavio@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I rented a Fender Blues Junior amp for a month to
> see how I like it before buying it and its OK but
> I'm having problems with feedback.
>
> I have a shure green bullet mike (new, not
> vintage with 1/4 inch jack). I set the volume to
> 12 (to get a crunchy sound) and master to 1.75
> and I get a good sound but any higher than that
> on the master and I get feedback. The amps works
> fine with a guitar at 12/6. Is this an impedence
> problem? is it fixable or should I just consider
> another type of amp and if so which?
>
> (reverb is at 1, treble 1, bass is 12, mid around
> 7)

With a very hot mic such as the Green Bullet, back
off the amp's Volume to 3 or 4 (tops) and then inch
the Master up until you start to feed. You should
be able to push it up pretty high at that setting.
If it still feeds quickly, kick the Volume knob
down incrimentally until you get a non-feedback
threshold you can live with. The Volume knob equals
"gain" on that amp, and if you're blowing through a
Green Bullet, you won't need much "crunch" from the
amp to get a good crunchy sound! Try 10 or so on
the bass, 2 or 3 on the mid and 0 on the treb.
Reverb to taste (I like about 2 or 3).

Also, remember to keep the mic ~away~ from the amp
(don't point it at the speaker), stand as far from
it as you can, place it in front of you or to the
side, pointing toward the audience if possible.

The Blues Jr. is kind of a feedback beast in its
stock state, though it can be made into a ~great~
harp amp. I switched out 2 of the 3 preamp tubes to
12AY7 on mine when using a Green Bullet (the JT-30
is a bit less feedback prone, so only one preamp
tube sub is needed). This lowers the input gain,
giving you more room with the volume controls.

Another great BJ mod is to replace the speaker with
an AlNiCo magnet speaker. If you buy one from Weber
VST, Ted can put on an "H" dust cap that will
~significantly~ decrease feedback issues while
bringing a wonderful tweed-like tone to the amp.
With this setup, the amp's true "Fenderosity"
really shines through. It simply kicks ass.

Good Luck!
- --Ken M.

P.S. I've never owned or played through a Pro Jr.,
but Bob M. really knows his stuff.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens