Re: re: Found an old microphone

My good friend scott gold wrote:
> Will wrote:
>> While going through some old boxes in the attic I found an old
>> Electro-Voice model 630.  The connector is female and I don't
>> seem to have the cord for it.  Does anyone know if this is of
>> any value or good for harmonica?  I'd really appreciate the
>> benefit of your collective knowledge.

> Will,  if in good condition,
> you may have yourself a very nice mic -
> not only for playing with, but also for looking good with.

I agree, the 630 is a great mic, if a bit heavy, for playing harp.  I
keep mine on a stand in the music room plugged into my VibroChamp,
it's great on the stand.  They can be a bit awkward and heavy when
hand held.  It's not quite as compressed as my JT-30, but has a nice
overdriven tone.

> my 630 has an XLR connection - and i've used
> it by playing directly into the mains rather than an amp .

630s came in a lot of subtly different configurations, including the
not-so-subtle Hi-Z and Lo-Z difference.  Mine his Hi-Z, if I remember
correctly, Scott's is Lo-Z, which would explain why it works for him
into the PA.  The mic end of my Hi-Z 630 has a rather odd connector,
it is three pins like an XLR, but has a screw collar.  I got a cable
from Tom Ellis (http://www.island.net/~blues/tomsmics.html), and it
just worked.  All in all, a very nice mic for playing harp.

- -tim