Re: PBS blues documentary (Friday)

"BT" <bulldog483@xxxx> wrote:
> Sorry, Tom Jones stinks when you want something anywhere near an
> actual blues player of any import ,,,he or she could just have had
> a harmonica in their pocket ,,and I would have watched.

Part of the point that was being illustrated, as I gathered it, was
that a number of British musicians -- including Tom Jones, Jeff Beck,
Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, and Lulu -- used the blues as a departure
point for their own styles of music, which were embraced by American
audiences.  These folks were revisiting their blues roots, and
discussing the influences on their music and their careers.

Whether or not he is "an actual blues player of any import", Tom
Jones has a hell of a voice and pulled off some great blues.  I would
have listened to him do that material for hours.  I would loved to
have been able to jam with him and Jeff Beck.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

- -tim