Gary Primich

Gary Primich was in Cleveland a couple of Saturday nites ago and I had said
I would do a bit of review. Let me first say I have no connection to him,
his booking co., band members etc, etc.
    Primich did a great show. If you know his playing from records you know
he has a great sound, and it's even better live from his incredibly beat up
59 Bassman (I don't know if it's an original or reissue) and bullet mic, as
well as thru his vocal mic.
    He produces a variety of tones -- big and fat or bright and biting. Even
though some influences are obvious (Rice Miller to me and he cites Big
Walter on his site) he is really his own man and is not rehashing harmonica
cliches.
    I think his influences probably also include jump blues/jazz sax players
and reverb-drenched guitars. (The latter comes out for me in the ending of a
number of the tunes. He does the sound with technique, not technology.)
He has strong melodic tendencies, lots of distinct riffs to set off each
tune from the others, and huge improvisational ability.
    He also was definitely INTO IT -- performing with gusto, clearly happy
to be playing and not phased by the modest crowd. He cheerfully played my
requests for "Queen of Complication" and "Hardwood Floor" from his
Botheration CD on Black Top. The latter tune was somewhat reinterpreted and
sounded particularly fresh. "Queen" seems to still call out for its
sugnature riff.
    Support live Blues. Wilbert's is definitely struggling with its Thursday
thru Sunday presentations of top class traveling blues groups. You should
check out this club if you are in town.
Blu

Harmonica Blu
BluXpres@xxxxxxxxxxxxx