Re: Amp Tone

Tom,

Thanks for the great post. Having played through a
SJ2 only once, and never through a Harp King or '59
Bassman, my opinion on these comparisons are
useless. However, I wanted to add a couple of
thoughts to some stuff you mentioned at the end of
your post.

- --- Mudharp@xxxxxxx wrote:
<<Big Snip>
> In the real world it's nice to be able to
> compete with high volume and that's where
> some of these high powered harp amps come in
> very handy.
<<snip>>

This is very true. I own a 35 watt '63 Alamo (with
single 15" speaker) for just this purpose. Not as
loud as a Harp King, but it has plenty of tube-tone
~womp~ for my purposes. When used with my Hush
Pedal, I can crank that sucker to ~very~ painful
levels without feedback.

> I am also way in favor of micing my amps through
> the PA for all gigs, big and small.
<<snip>>

What I've been doing lately is to use my Harp
Commander in conjunction with my amp at all gigs.
The HC is an ~excellent~ pre-amp unit for harp, and
I've had great luck with using my little 15 watt
Blues Jr. (with recently upgraded AlNiCo speaker)
as my stage amp/monitor and running another line
through the HC to the PA.

My sound is as big as I want/need it to be, and the
overal tone is nothing short of awesome (IMO). When
the other instruments are mic'd to the PA as well,
we produce a very nice, well-balanced sound for the
audience. It's more hassle to mic everything, but
the results have been wonderful - and now everyone
in the band can hear everyone else with ease.

My 2 pennies.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens