Re: Hering 1923

<quote>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:28:41 +0200
From: "Ben Bouman" <FITGO@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hering 1923

So far I have mixed feelings about the 1923 harp.
8<
I noticed that the used is superb, no swelling so they are sealed very well.
I have customized Marine Band (from Tony Ramos). The wood is soaked is
beeswax and treated with "schellack" (germand word that I can't translate).
But after a 2 hour practice session the wood around holes 4 -5 -6 starts
swelling (a little). It feels a bit uncomfartable but the harps are absolute
airtight, perfect tuned. He uses reedplates from Hohner with fresh (not
tuned..) reeds.
8<
On www.harponline.de  you can find detailed info about customized harps
(Filisko...Ramos...) with very good photos rom reeds, slots etc etc.

Ben Bouman
Holland
</quote>

Hi Ben,
Thanks for your thoughts on the Hering 1923 harmonica to date.
I'd like to know for sure what Hering use to seal their combs.

The problems you had with the sealed Ramos comb are exactly what I've
experienced with the few Beeswax soaked Marine Band combs I've made.  As a
result I personally choose not to use beeswax, besides having another
painful reason to avoid it.

Schellack is a water soluble sealant, I'm not sure of its longevity in the
mouth - however Ramos is not alone in its use as a sealant.

Personally I've found that four coats of water based polyurethane works very
well.  I've soaked a wood comb I'd sealed with urethane for 5 to 10 minutes
in warm soapy water just to see what would happen - the only sign of
absorbtion was where I hadn't properly coated it - namely down the drilled
holes for the reedplate & cover bolts - so I make sure I seal them properly
too now.

I have heard good things about Toni Ramos and would like to purchase one of
his instruments one day out of curiousity.

I have congratulated Michael Timler (& Franz) for his excellent shop and
site:  http://www.harponline.de
I think its put the wind up some of the competitors.  Thats got to be good
for us consumers. :)

Best,
G.