RE: please post "my intro"

Susan,

I started only some 4 years ago when I turned 43. And like you, I turned to
harp-l for guidance and information. I was lucky in as much as harp-l was
still relatively new and members were thrilled finally to meet and talk with
other harp players. The ideas to be shared seemed endless and the enthusiasm
with which they were shared seemed inexhaustible. -Well, the nature of
harp-l has changed somewhat. Many of the most knowledgeable members-often
the biggest contributors-now seem shy to introduce subjects with which
harp-l has already dealt and on which they themselves may already have
spoken at some length and with considerable eloquence. As a consequence,
there seems to be much more discussion of certain "finer points" ("to polish
or not to polish reeds," "to use or not to use a pre-amp," etc).-So, the
trick now, I think, is to fearlessly jump in and ask questions-especially in
matters of fundamental technique; they don't seem to be approached as
regularly anymore.

If no one else has mentioned it, be sure and visit:

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/

And, if you've been good this year, ask for Jerry Portnoy's "Master Class"
for Christmas. He'll help you to acquire the techniques most closely
associated with those "old timers".

john

John Galvin
Translations