Re: Rhythm, Minimal Harp Content?

> > Any suggestions on how to improve that?
>
>http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/exercise.html#top
>
>Spend a lot of time playing along with CDs, radio, playalongs by ear
>concentrating on timing, feel & rhythm.  With practice and more practise
>you'll get it.
>
>When you're timing & rhythm is tight then you can focus on your phrasing
>which is utterly dependant on good timing, feel & rhythm.  Mimicking the
>best players is one good way to learn how to get about so you can start
>doing your own stuff.
>
>G.

I agree, but ultimately it is your musical relationship with other players
in your band that turns the "technically good" into something that's on a
higher plane altogether.  The hard core of my music making is a little band
of three.  By now we are so comfortable with each other's sense of rhythm
and timing that we can concentrate on enjoying what we do (even though we
may not exactly set the world on fire).  If an unfamiliar musician joins us,
no matter how good, there's a bit of adjusting to do at first on everyone's
part.  These things are unspoken, intangible, organic.....and you won't get
them from a metronome or playing along with a CD, valuable though these
things may be.  Then you get the player who just doesn't get it.  No matter
how proficient he or she may be technically on their instrument, everybody
else spends a slightly uneasy evening making little compensations for the
newcomer's rhythmic deficiencies.  How many people on this list know that
feeling!   I think that listening to recordings of yourself, either in a
band setup or solo, made on something decent such as a portable minidisc
recorder, is a good way of finding out where you are when it comes to rhythm
and timing and maintaining a steady tempo - and if possible get an
independent, knowledgeable opinion from someone who won't pull their
punches!

Steve Shaw.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger