Re: Lessons

Hi Scorcher,

I took some lessons from Clint Hoover here in the Twin Cities area.  I can't
say enough on how much it has helped me!

I took maybe 5-6 months of lessons from him.   Clint exposed me to lots of
ideas and technique.  Even though much of what we discussed and the
technique he demonstrated were beyond my skill level.  I was asking all
kinds of question, he would show me and explain it to me.   I  knew how the
effects were being played.    Not that I could reproduce them,  but I  had a
basic understanding on how the player was achieving this sound.

Clint would let me tape the demonstrations so I could listen at home.  I
still go back and listen to those tapes today.  My lessons  lasted 5-6
months, but I have been working on the ideas and concepts he demonstrated to
me for 4 years now.

A good instructor should easily hear where a student is making gross
mistakes in technique and correct problems before they become real problems.

Also, sitting in the room next your instructor and hearing how the harp can
sound, this was a great inspiration to me. WOW!  I wanted those big notes.
He would keep telling me, it'll come.

I am sure a player can be really good without taking lessons, but it will
just take longer!

One other thing you should keep in the back of your mind,  the student
instructor relationship is still a business one.

Regards,
Rick