Re: screws for reed replacement

<quote>
  From: Moandabluz@xxxxxxx=20
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 12:31 AM
  Subject: screws for reed replacement
  I have decided to try and mess with some reed replacement, but I am =
thinking I would like some screws that would replace rivets after I know I
will mess them up. I have the bill romel tool and think I can replace =
one, but I know i'll ruin a rivet.  Anyone know where and what kind of =
screws? Any advice would be appreciated. I'll be working on Special 20s. And
yes, starting with junk harps.
  Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
  still a fool for the harp
</quote>

Hi Steve,
  I have stopped using my Romel reed replacement tool since paying attention
to Pat Missin's advice in Altered States REPLACE.TXT
http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tunings.html

A 1mm punch, a small brass hammer (9/16" face, wood handle), and a metal
block with a 2mm diameter hole 2mm deep for extracting the rivet and reed. A
simple pair of linesmans plyers (available at any hardware store) with the
cutting edge ground out (1/2 hour job with a rotary tool and conical
abrasive) for reinstalling the rivet/reed.
  Its far less destructive method for the rivet holes and means that you can
continue to rerivet reeds indefinitely on any given reedplate or rivet hole.
Its very quick and easy to operate so long as you pay attention to detail.

  You can purchase rivets by the thousand for not all that much from
HarpOnLine in Germany, http://www.harponline.de
they also sell a range of Harmonica specific tools and components.  They do
not countersink their reed screws, I personally prefer to countersink them
so the valve has a flat uninterrupted surface to be glued to.

If you intend to use screws and nuts for replacing reeds:
  0-80 1/8" flat head SS machine screw
  brass minature machine screw nut size 0-80
  countersink: drill point, 82deg angle 1/8" body dia, 1/8" shank
  permanant glue of your choice, keep away from fingers and nose.  If you
use super glue, keep ascetone handy.

  You may want to purchase an 3/64" drill bit and use a pin vice to enlargen
the rivet hole in the reed foot to accomate the nut.  Or you could use a
ratstail needle file with a bit of attention to detail its just as
practical.

All of these things barr the rivets are available at McMaster-Carr.

  I found it can take a long time to use the countersink by hand on the
reedplate so I use my Dremel set at a low speed.  Take care that you keep it
centered and steady, its not good to get it crooked, off centered, or go too
deep.  The countersink at proper depth insures an adequate hole size for the
screw, but it needs to be glued permanantly into place.

  Frankly for all the effort required, the end result isn't any better than
rivets and takes a heck of a lot of setting up first time around for each
reed.  I remain of the opinion that rivets are the way to go, and using
screws and nuts is only a last resort if you mess up the rivet hole.

There are no secrets.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/harptechtips.html

Best regards,
G.