Re: Chromatically tuned diatonics

Brian Pellerin wrote:

>I am have succeeded in making chromatically tuned harps. They are ten
>hole diatonics that I tuned into a chromatic scale. Here it is for a "C
>chrom":
>
>C   D  E F# Ab Bb C  D  E  F#
>Db EbF G   A   B  Db Eb F G
>
>I haven't even replaced any of the reeds! (and the highest ones are
>brought down an octave and a half)

Just for the record, this tuning was patented back in 1950 by one H.M.
Stevenson, but I bet many other people have come up with the same idea
independently.

I used this as the basic tuning for my quartertone chromatic - the
"normal" semitones as the slide out notes, with the slide raising all
the notes by a quartertone. I started out with a G chromatic, raising
the lowest note by a fourth and lowering the highest note by about the
same amount. If I were to do it again, I'd do it by reed replacement,
but I didn't have such a good stock of spare reeds back then.

 -- Pat.