Re: Diatonic handedness question

>From: "Jimbeau Harp" <jimbeauharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Diatonic handedness question
>Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 17:00:09 +0000
>

>>From: fjm <2738540@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>Every other left handed person
>>I've ever met plays flipped, numbers down.  Is there anyone else on the
>>list that employs this grip?  Personally if I had it to do over I think
>>I would have either played flipped which is how I started out or
>>switched to righthanded, holding left cupping right. fjm
>
>I'm left-handed.
>
>I hold the harp in my left hand with the numbers up.
>
>I will sometimes consciously hold it in my right hand so I can use my left
>hand for effects.
>
>Like many things about the harp, I did this instinctively . It wans't until
>I read threads about this on Harp-L that I began to think more about my
>grip on the harp and its effect on my tone.

I'm a confirmed leftie too.  Or cack-handed as we say on this side of the
Big Pond.  I had to get a harp out before I could reply to this (no
tribulation there).  I woke up my wife in so doing, forgetting that I didn't
actually have to BLOW the thing.  I hold the harp in both hands, but I
suppose the right hand is subsidiary.  Low notes to the left.  Effects
achieved mostly with the left hand.  I read somewhere once that Woody
Guthrie played the harmonica upside down.  Can anyone confirm this?  Was he
left-handed?  Does it make any difference?

All the best

Steve Shaw in the UK

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger