Re: Where in US are Harp festivals and jams October 2003 - Jan 04

Robert,
If you are coming to the US in October, may I suggest the King Biscuit
Festival in Helena, Arkansas October 9-11.  The lineup for this year has
not been announced yet, but you can keep an eye out for it at
www.kingbiscuitfest.org.
While there are some smaller blues festivals in October and November,
this is about the last BIG blues festival of the year that I am aware of.
I have not been there for the last 2 years, but in addition to having
some of the top blues acts and best harp players perform at the
festival, there have been jams at the Sonny Boy Music Hall, Eddie Mae's
and on the streets.
All the lodging in Helena is already booked up, but you should be able
to find lodging in Clarksdale, Mississippi, about 30 minutes away.  The
Delta Blues Museum is in Clarksdale.  At the Delta Blues Museum you can
buy the Delta Blues Map Kit put together by Jim O'Neill for about $8US.
 You can also purchase it on the web at www.deltabluesmuseum.org.  This
contains a number of maps and directions for most of the major blues
sites in the Mississippi Delta.  For example, a short drive south of
Clarksdale is Tutwiler, where Aleck "Rice" Miller (aka Sonnyboy
Williamson II) is buried.
For the time of year you are coming, I think this is your best
opportunity for the ultimate blues experience in the US.
Hope this helps.
Best of luck to you,
Russ