RE: SBS vs. 365 (was 364) 14 (was 12) hole low harps

- --- Michelle LeFree <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mojo, it seems like the octave jump at the lower
> end of the SBS would confuse me.  Doesn't it
> sound strange if you try to "gliss" or slide up
> across holes three and four?

Yes, the SBS does take a little getting used to,
but adapting to the harp was MUCH easier than I'd
imagined, and the cool licks you can create are
well worth the effort. You can launch into a
"regular" harp lick (centered around the second
octave G), and when you get to the IV chord you
move your run ~downward~ into the darker octave.
Very slick sounding.

Regarding the call-and response thing. One thing
I'll do with the SBS is to plant my thumb over the
harp up around hole 9 somewhere, so I can jump
confidently (when my cheek hits my thumb I know my
mouth is right over the meat of the "regular"
C-harp part of the harp -- hole 5-draw G). Makes
that jumping around much easier.

> I imagine you can do some nice tongue-block
> effects and  octaves down there with that
> disjoint layout, tho'.

It may sound funny, but the layout never really
seemed disjointed to me. Not like those first four
holes threw me when I first picked up a diatonic!
The thing is kind of intuitive to anyone with
diatonic experience.

And Yes! The low-end octaves are KILLER!

SBS Tuning:
BLOW  C  E  G  C  E  G  C  E  G  C  E  G  C  E
HOLE  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14
DRAW  D  G  B  D  G  B  D  F  A  B  D  F  A  B

If you'll notice, you get low-end draw-octaves on
D, G and B. Can't get that with the 364/365. They
only offer a low-end draw octave on D.

Not trying to talk you into anything, Michelle,
just trying to answer your "what makes the SBS
special/different/better/worth the money" question.

One more thing. Regarding Sonny Boy II and his
song, Bye Bye Bird. In at least one version I have
of that song, he switches harps mid-song to wail on
a regular C harp, then switches back to his 364 to
close the song. No need to switch harps with the
SBS!

Stay well!

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens
http://search.yahoo.com