Re: Dating Harmonicas

Vince wrote:
> I am actually looking for some pics of some prewar Marine Band harps and the
> like. anyone know where I can find these pics, let me know!

There have been only two significant cosmetic changes to the Marine Band since
it was introduced in 1897 in the US.  The first was switching from the two
tabbed ("mickey mouse ear") covers around 1920-something, and the second was
the removal of the six-pointed Star of David from the bottom cover in the mid-
1930s.  There have been a number of other subtle changes -- from 3/4 to 3/3
top/bottom nail pattern, flattening of the rivet heads, addition of new "prize"
seals on the bottom cover, the switch from nickel to chrome plating on the
covers -- but besides this, more changes have come to the box than the harp
inside it.

I have some pictures of some prewar Marine Bands I had for sale that are still
lingering around my website:
http://tymoyer.home.texas.net/.WorkingMansHarps/prewar.htm
These harps have been customized, so they have the end nails replaced with
stainless steel screws, but you can see these look pretty much like the modern
Marine Band.

I'm looking around now to see if I have any pictures of the tabbed kind.  These
come up on ebay from time to time.

- -tim