Hering Blues band - unusual chromatic tuning

Somehow I missed this when it came out, but
Hering is making a chromatic that is tuned like a
diatonic - but with a twist. I'd heard about the
model - the Blues Band 48 (not to be confused
with the Hohner Bluesband cheap diatonic). But I
hadn't gotten the news about its special blues
tuning.

The Blues Band 48's closest relatives in the
chromatic family are the Hohner Koch 980 and its
nearly identical twin the Slide Harp. Both are
tuned like a 10-hole diatonic with a slide, but
one frequenty hears complaints about their
leakiness.

Herings chromatics are known for their
airtightness and responsiveness, and this one -
the Blues Band 48 - promises the same.

But it is different from the Koch and Slide harp
models in one important detail. It has 12 holes
instead of 10. Holes 1-10 on the Koch/Slide Harp
is Holes 3-12 on the Blues Band 48. On the BB48,
holes 1 and 2 extend the range down to G below
middle C. The way this is done is kind of strange
(like Holes 3-4 on a Hering Baritono or a 64) and
not how I might have done it. But then, you could
retune it to whatever you find useful.  For
details see:

http://www.jldyermusic.com/p74.html

By the way, J.L. Dyer, the owner of this page,
quotes an asking price of $99.95. But he
regularly sells this model on eBay at a "BUY IT
NOW" price of $59.95.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2514495577&category=308

Usual disclaimers -no affiliations, etc.

Winslow Yerxa