Re: Concert review - Maybe August

 alec@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< They are in the process of recording an album right now, and I can't
 wait until it comes out. In the mean time, you can check out some demo
 stuff on their website. http://www.maybeaugust.com

 I've said this before and I'll say it again. Roscoe deserves more
 recognition. I'm not aware of anyone else who is doing the kind of stuff
 he's doing - playing rock harp with speed like Popper, but using
 overblows to provide the chromaticity to make his lines much more
 musical. If Maybe August comes to your neck of the woods, be sure to go
 see them. You'll be glad you did. >>

haven't seen 'em, but i did download their stuff when roscoe made us aware of
it.  i'd agree that roscoe is doing some pretty amazing stuff.  what i
particularly enjoyed about them was that the harp was treated as just another
instrument.  seems that most harp is either the singer-songwriter type
(dylan, young, springsteen, etc) where harp is just used as a flavor or added
texture or as the dominent solo instrument (most any blues band with harp).
maybe august puts the harp on totally equal footing with the rest of the
band, neither buried, nor in your face.  i guess that's an option you can
explore when you have roscoe's ability.

steven j gatorman