  From: Robert Paparozzi=20
  To: dfwhoot ; HARP_L=20
  Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 9:43 PM
  Subject: Re: clean harp

  Hi Jerl,

      Winslow mentioned Toots' Mic (sm-58), Howard Levy use The =
Senneiser 441 (on a stand), he uses this for both studio and live =
performance. I never had the pleasure of seeing McCoy live but I imagine =
wouldn't play much hand-held style.=20
      The Late Great Donnie Brooks used to play with Waylon Jennings, =
Johnnie Paycheck as well as Judy Collins out on the road. I'm pretty =
sure he would use a standard shure Vocal Mic ie: SM 58. That's what he =
used in the pit of The Broadway Show "Big River"... about a year before =
he died, I saw Donnie with his Blues Band: "Hell's Kitchen" and he was =
using a Shure Green Bullet thru a Fender Amp as he wanted a more =
'Chicago tone'. Funny though even with the distortion, his sweet 'tone' =
still rang out,-)

      Harpwise, Donny Loved the early Marine Bands, I turned him on to =
Joe Filiskos Harps and he loved them.
  I also turned him on to the Lavoie Titanium Combs with Big River-MS =
Cover and Plates. Donny had several of these combs in both his 'studio' =
and 'live' kits. His tasteful playing and warm personality are sorely =
missed...he was a real PRO.................hope this helps and see y'all =
at SPAH,-) all the best Rob Paparozzi

  The Shure SM 57 works fine for me on all my live gigs for both =
Chromatic and Diatonic.

  PS..Jerl....if your interested, contac me off-list if your interested =
in a copy of Donnie's last project.

  =20
    So much is said about blues players , their syles of playing, the =
amps and set ups that give you that perfect sound that your looking for. =
But what about the great clean players ,the accoustic sound like Levy, =
Mike Turk, Toots, Charlie McCoy,Doug Tate just to name a very few. What =
is their mic of choice. do they play through an amp or through the pa =
system. What type of particulars do they require when they set up. This =
is what I'd like to hear about. Jerl