Re: overblows, was Same Old Thing

In a message dated 6/30/2003 9:51:08 AM Central Standard Time,
alec@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> To hear guys who can do them really well, listen to Carlos Del Junco,
> Howard
> Levy, and Rosco (Maybe August). I would throw the Iceman and Chris Michalek
> in there, but as far as I know, they haven't recorded - check them out in
> person, though.

I agree with Alec on all of the above. A couple of others I've heard who may
not have been mentioned yet are Allen Holmes and Sandy Weltman, both of whom
have some very fine recordings out. And anyone who's going to SPAH should seek
out one of the best kept secrets in the micro-world of OB masters, the amazing
George Brooks, whom I think is going to be at Joe's teach-in this year.
George makes them sound like velvet.

Regarding the timbre and seamlessness of OBs, since when does music have to
be totally seamless all the time? I don't think everything needs to be so even
timbered that every note, whether it's an OB or not, has to have the same
timbral quality as the one that preceded it, especially if your playing blues or
jazz. The main thing is that it's played in pitch, just like trad bends should
be played in pitch. I'm not saying to disregard tone and timbre, but if an
overblow note sounds edgy or scratchy or somehow different occasionally, so what?

T. Albanese