Weekend Yard Sale score

I've been reflecting lately that eBay has destroyed the yard sale
bargain. Used musical instrument bargains in particular are getting
harder to find.  But surprises occur.

This weekend I found myself at a large antique/junk shop.  On a shelf in
the back of the place I found four vocal mics -- 2 Shure SM58s, a Shure
SM57, and a Peavey 1 -- plus a high-Z cable, all in obviously battered
cosmetic condition.  There was no way to test the mics onsite.  The
dealer accepted 10 dollars for the lot.

When I got them home and tested them, I found all four to be in working
condition. One of the SM-58s has a pretty low output and not much bass
response.  The other works very well.  The SM-57 and the Peavey are both
apparently in very good condition too.  The mic cable has no apparent
problems.

I cleaned the mics up as well as I could.  They still look battered.
But it's a pretty good day at the yard sale when you get three and a
half pro quality vocal mics in good working condition, plus a cable, for
ten bucks.

I'm going to more yard sales.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
www.hunterharp.com