Re: Same Old Thing

Usually, when I buy a new harp, I dismantle it straight away and tune it/set
it up for my own style of playing - I play traditional Irish music on
diatonic harps.  But today,on the same day that I read a post on
overblowing, I received a brand-new Tombo Folk Blues C harp.  Following the
instructions in the post, and before fiddling around with the harp, I tried
the overblow in the 6 blow hole. It worked!  I could get the desired note
consistently every time - but I couldn't repeat this success in any other
hole.  I have never tried overblows before.   From my reading around on this
topic I get the impression that effective overblowing requires close gapping
of reeds.  The problem is that I have usually found that, with many reeds, I
actually need to INCREASE the gapping to avoid the problem of choking reeds
, especially when I am playing fast runs of notes in jigs and reels.  I
would love to be able to get "missing" notes by overblowing - but the
question is, is this ambition incompatible with my apparent need for wider
gapping?  By the way, I am quite proficient when it comes to note-bending.

I am very thick-skinned and am fully prepared to hear criticism of my
technique - so fire away!!

Steve Shaw.

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica