Re: Kim Wilson

on 6/26/03 9:35 PM, harp-l-digest at harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:58:36 EDT
> From: Gatorharp@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Kim Wilson
>
> << "Tuff Enuff" notwithstanding (as if that obligatory mainstream commercial
> effort somehow now qualifies him), KW is one of the finest blues vocalists.
> Great sense of timing and phrasing. >>
>
> yeah, we wouldn't want anyone having mainstream commercial success.

Oh, I don't have a problem with them making decisions regarding their
financial situation. It's just that whenever these guys decide to go
commercial, then they no longer call the shots. Contractual obligations and
having to "grease the machine" override creative consideration in most
cases. Having a tune that appeals to a wider audience usually means making
it part rock, part county, and a little blues. And "Tuff Enuff" certainly
smacks of that.

Which begs the question, "What price success?"

> i will agree that the dave edmunds produced stuff isn't their best.  still,
> it probably afforded wilson and vaughan some financial stability.

That doesn't mean I have to like it...

> and it's hardly awful.

Yeah...hardly.

Ray.