Positions

In a message dated 6/27/03 5:56:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
ironman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< For example, I sometimes play Harlem Nocturne in 2nd position (I always use
 a C harp, so this is G minor). >>

Every time I think I'm making progress on this positions thing, I get
completely confused.

Now, second position on a C harp is G Major which corresponds with the Circle
of Fifths.  Similarly, following the Circle of Fifths, and recognizing that
the relative minor is the sixth degree of the specified key:

      Position        Major Key                Relative Minor  Mode
         1st            C Major                    A Minor           Ionian
         2nd           G Major                    E Minor           Mixolydian
         3rd            D Major                    B Minor           Dorian
         4th            A Major                    F# Minor          Aeolian
         5th            E Major                    C# Minor          Phrygian
         6th            B Major                    G# Minor          Locrian
         7th            F# Major/Gb Major     Eb Minor          Lydian
         8th            Db Major/C# Major     Bb Minor
         9th            Ab Major                   F Minor
       10th            Eb Major                   C Minor
       11th            Bb Major                   Gb Minor
       12th            F Major                     Db Minor

I hope this chart translates well on your e-mail and I hope it is correct.  I
threw  in the Modes for good measure, although I haven't really figured that
out yet.  I'm working on it.

My confusion arises out of the discussion relating to minor keys.  There is
so much said about a specific position being in a minor key.  That doesn't
translate in my mind because it is in both a minor and a major key.

Perhaps the answer lies in the ease of playing the minor as opposed to the
major key.

Any simple enlightenment out there?

Lee Lewis
Jackson MS