Re: Kim Wilson

on 6/25/03 6:51 PM, harp-l-digest at harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:52:54 -0400
> From: alciere@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Kim Wilson
>
> In an earlier post I commented that Kim Wilson's harp playing was great, but
> his songwriting and singing were a little stilted. I didn't realize he was
> the singer for the Fabulous Thunderbirds and that he wrote Tuff Enuff.
>
> I stand corrected. Absolutely no problem with his songwriting or his
> singing. I just wasn't enamored with that particular solo album.
>
> Rainbow Jimmy
> http://www.spaceanimals.com
> http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals

"Tuff Enuff" notwithstanding (as if that obligatory mainstream commercial
effort somehow now qualifies him), KW is one of the finest blues vocalists.
Great sense of timing and phrasing.

People may feel more familiar with a blues vocal style that is more the
gravely-voiced, edgy, 9/10's "momma you gotta hep me now!!!" Kenny Wayne
Shepard (can't believe I'm placing that name in the same post!) sort of
thing.

Listening to KW is exactly the opposite...smooth, silky baritone always in
control.

Ray.