Fwd: TB Question for Winslow[or anybody,really]

There are a couple of version of that technique, and (memory is not
clear on this) Walter may have used both of them on Oh Baby.

One technique, which I calla shimmer, is to cleanly alternate between
two notes on either side of the tongue. On a standard 10-hole
diatonic, an octave split with two holes blocked would be fairly
easy -not too narrow, not too wide. The tongue stays pretty much in
one place, keeping the middle two holes blocked the whole time. But
it kind of leans first to the right, blocking out the hole in the
right corner of the mouth and leaving the note at the left as the
only one sounding. Then it moves to the left so that the note on the
right sounds alone. This way, you alternate between the two corners
of the mouth. it doesn't mattter which side you start with.

You can do shimmers with two notes on one side and one on the other,
or even with two pairs of notes. The important thing is that only one
of the chosen notes or pairs sounds at any one time - it's a clean,
precise alternation.

Another technique, called the rake, is more of a wash - everything
can mix together. The tongue is not held down on the harp. It moves
freely from side to side, raking back and forth across a chord.
Rather than excluding notes in a clean, defined way, it just kinds of
creates texture in a chord, with a fairly random but directional
exclusion of notes.

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bob McGraw" <rmcgraw@xxxx>
wrote:

In a recent post Winslow referred to a Tubing technique that involved
moving
the tongue back and forth over the notes of a chord....not sure  I'm
accurately describing what Winslow said and I didn't save that post :(

Winslow[or anyone else who knows],could you describe the technique
again,perhaps with some suggestions about how to practice it?
Is it sort of like that lick LW uses as an intro on "Oh
Baby?"Thanks....
WVa Bob

- --
Harp-l is sponsored by SPAH.