Re: Maintenance Question

I found that I can quite readily change a reed in Special 20s and in my Echo
double-reeded harps using just what's in the Lee Oskar tool kit, a small
punch and a small hammer.  I'd be ashamed for any self-respecting repair man
to see the untidy bodge I make of the job, but it gives a new lease of  life
to what would have prematurely become scrap metal.  As I'm in confessing
mode, here goes with further atrocities.  If I've used up my supply of
cannibalised correct-length reeds, I simply take one that is slightly too
long and snip the end off with scissors.  Needs a bit of tuning afterwards
to say the least!  Sometimes I accidentally make the rivet hole a bit too
big when I punch out the old reed.  The new reed then swivels around
uselessly in the hole when inserted.  No problem!  A tiny blob of
quick-setting Araldite will anchor the fixed end of the reed behind the
rivet to the reedplate.  I make sure that the reed is true to its slot just
before the glue sets rock-hard.  I've found that the reeds in Lee Oskars are
fixed in much more tenaciously and don't lend themselves to this crude
approach.  But as they rarely go south anyway it's not a worry.

I can tell you - the new reed sounds the same as the others; the repair
lasts pretty well, considering that the replacement reed is not new;  and
that, if nothing else, I still have an in-tune harp which is usually good
enough to play out and about, and more than good enough to practise with.

I was going to say that that is my 2 cents'-worth,  but as you can see I
don't spend that kind of money in one go.

Thank goodness I've got that off my chest.  It's a kind of coming-out.

Steve Shaw

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger