Kim Wilson- review of "Lookin' For Trouble" (Part I)

In a message dated 6/19/03 7:36:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
onerocknrollchic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Reviewers are saying his new album, "Lookin' For Trouble," surpasses
> anything
> he's done before. There's several "traditional" blues on it that Wilson
> wrote and
> a couple rockers he penned, as well as some deep stuff from Snooky Pryor and
> Jimmie Rogers. I'm still kind of partial to "My Blues" but "Lookin' For
> Trouble"
> is what's sitting on my CD player right now! AND check out the vocals this
> time.

Hey guys,

I have gotten the new Kim Wilson CD and it is his best solo CD he has done so
far period. If this is what we can expect from Kim in the future we are in
for a definite treat. Wilson is defintely world class when it comes to blowing
harp and singing, I will say he is probably the best male blues vocalist I have
heard so far. Nobody sounds like him, and he is a serious credit to this
craft. Now onto the CD,  The record has 15 cuts on it. 9 of the cuts are written
or co-written with Kim Wilson. I will say of all the cuts they are probably the
best 9 on the CD! This is a serious achievement in my book, particularly
today when most people cannot write or compose credible new material to save their
lives. I will break it down track by track:

1. Lookin For Trouble II: This the second version of this song (the rock'n
roll version). This song was co-written with Kim Wilson by his fiance Amanda
Taylor (and if that's her on the cover, then Kim is a very happy man). Great
song, and a great performance by Kim and the band. Very rockin' guitar by Trey
Gonyea, and some seriously fat tone by Kim. (Key of G) (2nd position)

2. Tortured: Tortured is steady, swing-feel song. Wilson penned this one as
well; Done very well, the chromatic solo is really nice along with the horn
arrangement. Great singing on this one as well, love the horn arrangment. (Key of
D) (Chromatic in 3rd position)

3. Hurt On Me: Upbeat driving swing tune penned by Kim, a very hip horn
arrangement, with a seriously good solo by Kim. I love how the horns are worked
into the song, not obstrusive or obnoxious. Listen to Kim's phrasing in this
song, very good. (Key of Bb) (3rd position)

4. Money, Marbles, & Chalk: A cover of the old Jimmy Rogers classic. Reworked
with some very crazy room sounding reverb, Kim's harp just burns all over
this cut, man this is some serious stuff. Check out Trey Gonyea's tone on this
one, very nice.
(Key of Eb) (2nd position)

5. Love My Baby: The old Willie Dixon classic. A solid cut, I prefer the
version done on the Kid Ramos "Greasy Kid Stuff" CD is bit more,but Kim does quite
well on this one. Gonyea's solo is very hip, check out that guitar tone (It's
nice to hear a guitar player who for once doesn't smother his tone in
reverb). Nice horn arrangment in this one too. (Key of F) (no harp)

6. Love Attack: A straight ahead Blues penned by Wilson, its a solid tune
with some great harp on it. That tone! What an animal! The tune borrow liberally
from the melody of "oh Baby" by Little Walter, but Kim really makes it his
own. Nice solos all over this one. This is a good primer for phrasing. (Key of E)
(2nd Position)