other instruments

Hi All,
            Just thought that i might take this thread as an opportunity to
ask the list about learning the saxophone.
            I don't want to be a virtuoso or even a particularly adept
player i literally just would like to be able to play a few solos  in tunes
like " Shake your money maker" etc.Just basic stuff in a bar band setting.
            What kind of sax is best for this type of music,alto.....?
            Could i just learn to play in one key to make it easier? (i'm
serious  ;-)
            Given that i'm reasonably competent(blues) harp player and have
played in a lot of bands ,  i know the chord sequences etc. How long do
think that it might take me to get to the stage of being able to blow a few
simple solos in say the key of E.
            I know....how long is a piece of string, but any advice would be
welcome.
Cheers
Rick
in NZ