re: playing behind the beat

As a neophyte here, I am reading all kinds of things that make me think. =
 I know that I have heard this playing behind or in front of the beat, =
and when I sing I often do it, often it is sort of a syncopation, to add =
interest to otherwise boring country western tunes... Willie Nelson =
comes to mind as one who does it a lot, to the point of becoming a =
caricature sometimes.  But don't beat up my Willie, he is one of the =
best songwriters ever was! (IMNSHO)

The point I am trying to make is that I never realized the theory or =
even the substance of what I was hearing until reading it here.  Thanks =
Guys!

HeyJude

Interesting subject.

Someone hit the nail on the head in this thread when he mentioned=20
that it's really interesting when different parts of the band=20
play straight (like the rhythm section) and others (soloists)=20
play off the beat.  It adds a really dynamic quality to the music=20
that is palpable, particularly when improvisiong as you can then=20
add other elements which add to the intensity (higher register,=20
louder, etc.).

It's well worth working on.  You can try it at home with a=20
metronome (and a harp or other noise producing device).

Eugene