Re: Stigma of the Harmonica

Jude,
You had it right the first time. It IS just a little rectangle of metal and
plastic. When you strip away all of the elevated vernacular and boil it down
to the raw basics...you hit it on the head.  If something about these little
rectangular boxes has inspired you to pick them up and take a stab at them
then don't worry about the "complexities". Just follow your passion.  All
the theory and knowledge in the world is no substitute for the value of
honest passion with this instrument. The subtle nuances they can create is
without equal in any other instrument.

I respect the amount of valuable technical knowledge that members of this
chat line possess but for now I would suggest you just  "feel" it out. Have
fun. Make mistakes. Learn to do things the wrong way and learn how to fix
them. Learn how to make the sounds you want to hear. Learn how to use this
little rectangle make YOUR sounds. Then, like learning a language, the
basics will eventually become instinctive.  Eventually (despite it being
just a little rectangle of plastic and metal) you will get it to do what you
want it to do and it will be the best vehicle for creating music that
reflects your individual emotions. It can do this better than any instrument
ever invented this side of a human voice.  And hopefully that feeling will
inspire your passion to create music to such a degree that whatever the
public thinks of it wont mean a damn thing to you.

As for calling it a "little rectangle of metal and plastic" just remember:
Picasso used a paint brush, just like any painter, and he didn't get upset
when somebody called it a stick with horse hair tied to it.

I have read the thread and it seems like you hit the ego nerve, something I
got the stump for early on.  Come on folks...outside of our little harmonica
world most of the music listening and playing world may never see harmonicas
as anything other than little rectangular boxes. So what? I play music for
what it does for me. If someone else wants to listen..great. If not... no
worries. Dispelling this "stigma" against harmonica players in the public's
mind is the public's problem, not ours.

Comrades:
Iceman: the words "minds" and "public" can't be used in the same sentence if
their taste in music is any indication of their intelligence. Unfortunately,
actually playing ANY instrument is fast becoming a novelty in popular music
(which is what the "mass public" listens to).  As far as I can tell, the
public is only interested in synthetic music, choreographed group dancing,
belly buttons, and how loudly their cars can buzz from the use of
subwoofers. The mass-public is more interested in music as fashion than
feeling. We play instruments of feeling. I don't have a problem being in
THAT minority.

Andrew: I agree with all your points but isn't it really applicable to the
personalities of musicians in general as opposed to one or two
instrument-specific groups? Any musician who can't control his ego or hasn't
the mature facility to realize they are part of an ensemble composition is,
in a word, an a@@hole.

2 cents worth a slap.
- - D