Re Stigma

QUOTE ANDREW: <<<The stigma concerning harmonica has its roots not in a
close-minded public ,but in harmonica players who feel as though they can
approach the instrument with no regard to music or its rules. Much of the
stigma given to harmonica and its players is not uncalled for >>>

Stigma is perhaps too strong a word.  It's possibly more a case of simply
not being taken seriously enough.  Andrew is right.  Whatever the
instrument, musicality will shine through as long as this is the harp
player's priority.  This doesn't necessarily mean being technically
brilliant, but it does require a sensitive and educated approach.  There's
been some brilliant stuff on the lists in recent months about positions, the
theory behind tunings, techniques, harp maintenance and more. This very day
I got a copy of the "Inspirations" CD and it's opened up a whole new world
already.  I read about it here first!  We all know that nobody knows it all
about harp playing, but learning is a load of fun and/or hard work.  We the
converted know that our instrument is every bit as difficult to master as
any other but it doesn't follow from that that we have something more to
prove than other musicians because we perceive that the world is somehow
looking down on us!

We could all come up with a list of "rules" to help gain respect - turn up
to the gig/session with TUNED harps - take trouble to get the volume right -
play appropriately and within one's limits (easier to say than do...) -
listen to others so as to pick up the spirit of what's going on - don't play
all bloody night!! - etcetera etcetera.  But these rules apply to everyone,
not just harp players, so strut your stuff proudly and don't feel the need
to be defensive!

I try to do all this (yeah, yeah, Saint Steve!) and I can honestly say that,
though I am reviled in the session for farting, drinking too much,
lasciviating over the (much younger) blonde at the bar and arguing, I am
respected for my harp-playing, far from perfect though it be.  Now, as for
those damned guitar accompanists....   ;-)

Steve Shaw