Re: Stigma of the Harmonica

In a message dated 6/15/03 1:31:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx
writes:

> A little rectangle of metal and plastic".....
>
> The harmonica is a legitimate musical instrument and, as such, has all the
> depth and complexity of a Steinway Grand Piano in mastering it musically.
>
> This stigma of "metal and plastic" is the perception that we, as a harmonica
> community, work so hard to overcome in the minds of the public.
>
> The Iceman

When the Piano was invented in 1709 by Bartolommeo Cristofori it was
initailly dismissed for its predecessor the harpsichord , but as the years went by it
gained acceptance by its tweaking and evolution. The same with the Saxophone
in its inception in 1840; it was initially proposed for classical music and did
not really catch on until much later in dance bands and jazz. Harmonica in
structure and development has had a long road, but its roots in the long
tradition of free reed instruments (3,000+ years) has been with much fruition. The
likes of Howard Levy, Larry Adler, Walter Jacobs, and Toots Thielemans have
given the instrument overall a legitimate place in music regardless of what ANY
guitarist, piano, or saxophonist may say. Electric guitar was not even accepted
till Charlie Christian brought it to the forefront in jazz, it was seen as a
novelty item, a "toy" which little wannabe musicians could pluck their fingers
on. Still I have yet to see an electric guitar in the classical field, but I
do know of quite a few pieces written for harmonica (performed by Howard Levy
and Larry Adler). This in essence says nothing,but it does point that at least
the classical community does regard harmonica as a legitimate instrument.

The stigma concerning harmonica has its roots not in a close-minded public
,but in harmonica players who feel as though they can approach the instrument
with no regard to music or its rules. Much of the stigma given to harmonica and
its players is not uncalled for (as is much of the stigma given to guitar
players who have no regard for the music and feel they can be great soloists
without being solid rhythm players); in general ignorance from harmonica players
concerning music is rampant and far surpasses the ignorant stupidity in the
guitar community (and let me say that is a tall order! ).  The solution to the
problem is not for the public to open its eyes, but for harmonica players in
general to realize much of the problems they suffer come from their own ranks. I
respect great players (particularly ones on this list) who dish out help at the
drop of a hat (this goes out to you Mike Will - your site is the best asset
for any harmonica player learning the instrument); you do far more good than
you realize. Yet we must be honest, it is a monster which we have made, and the
best way to rectify it is to be real musicians and approach the instrument
with the respect it deserves.

Andrew