Re: Re: Learn Bends

 YIKES!  Looks like I don't know what the heck I am talking about.  Bette=
shut up.  :-)   Who would think that a little rectangle of metal and plas=
tic
would present such amazing complexity?  I will go back to listening.  =0D
=0D
Jude  =0D
 =0D
> Strangely enough, the over blow is=0D
> something I learned before I knew=0D
> there was a name for it, just fooling=0D
> around in first position.=0D
   <snip>=0D
> Blow bend and overblow, I hope they=0D
> are the same thing.=0D
 =0D
Blow bends are the bendable blow notes in Holes 7 through 10 of a=0D
standard 10-hole diatonic. These go down in pitch smoothly from the=0D
blow note=0D
 =0D
Overblows are the notes you get in Holes 1 through 6. They pop up to=0D
a note that is higher than the draw note. Being able to do blow bends=0D
helps prepare you to learn overblows.=0D
 =0D
> Also tongue blocking, as my genetics=0D
> allow curling my tongue.=0D
 =0D
Do you mean that you curl your tongue into a U-sharp and channel the=0D
air through it? The usual name for that is U-blocking. Tongue=0D
blocking refers to a different technique where your mouth covers=0D
several holes (usually between 3 and 5 holes). You don't curl your=0D
tongue into a U, though you may curve it up or down so that the tip=0D
is not poked into the holes. You place your tongue on all the holes=0D
within your lips, except for the one hole in the right or left=0D
corner . This isolates a single note. There are several additional=0D
techniques associated with tongue blocking:=0D
 =0D
- - lifting or slapping down the tongue to alternate full chords with=0D
single notes either percussively or rhythmically=0D
 =0D
- - Blocking out the holes in the middle and playing the notes in the=0D
corners of your mouth to produce octaves and other blocked intervals=0D
(sometimes called split intervals)=0D
 =0D
- - playing a blocked interval and alternating the two notes by=0D
wiggling the sides of your tongue, while keeping the blocked holes=0D
blocked.=0D
 =0D
- - alternating a high chord and a low chord by moving the tongue from=0D
side to side, alternately blocking two groups of notes=0D
 =0D
- - raking your tongue from side to side rhytmically the create=0D
a "textured" chord=0D
 =0D
- - various combinations of the above.=0D
 =0D
Winslow=0D
 =0D
- --=0D