SBW I,II,II,IV,V... etc....

Just wanted to alert folks who may have an interest in the Sonny Boys:

On John Tefteller's new web site, there's a pic of a great old SBW
poster: http://bluesimages.com/html/posters_s_boy_williamson.html

What makes this interesting it that it's neither SBWI nor SBWII...
the pic on the poster is of the third SBW, i.e. Jeff Williamson, who
played harp and recorded for Ram records in '58.  At the bottom of
the poster they list some of SBWII's songs -- the promoters seem to
be trying to pass off this SBWIII as SBWII -- in much the same manner
that SBWII had tried to pass himself off as SBWI.  :)

All of which got me thinking:  (And yes, I know, I clearly have too
much time on my hands....<g>)

As if this Sonny Boy I, II & III stuff weren't confusing enough,
there's also a fourth harmonica player who recorded as "Sonny Boy
Williams" for Duplex in 1959, plus a different (and fifth) player
named "Sonny Boy Williams" who appeared on a Southern Culture LP in
1968.  Also there is a "Sunny Williams" (pianist Enoch Williams) who
made 78s for Decca and Super Disc, plus a harp playing "Sonny Boy
Wilson" in Chicago, and also a "Sonny Williams" on Sonora about whom
I know nothing. "Sonny Wilson" on DeeGee is a very young Jackie
Wilson.

"Chicago Sunny Boy" on Meteor is actually Joe Hill Louis, and "Ole
Sonny Boy" on Excello is either Papa Lightfoot or J. D. (not Walter)
Horton.  "Sonny Boy and Lonnie" and "Sonny Boy and Sam" on
Continental are the duo of A. "Shorty" Smith and Lonnie Johnson,
while "Sunny Boy and his Pals" on Gennett and/or Champion is actually
Papa Harvey Hull and Long "Cleve" Reed.

Then there's "Sonny Boy Holmes" on RIH, "Sonny Boy Davis" on Talent,
"Sonny Boy Franklin" on Eddie's, and "Sonny Boy Johnson" on Murray.
And finally, none of the above should be confused with "Sonny Boy
Haynes," who is a midget wrestler with the World Wrestling Federation.

Now then.  Any additions?  <grin>

cheers,

Tom Ball
Santa Bobo

PS: also on John's site are some posters of other harp greats:

Jimmy Reed: http://bluesimages.com/html/posters_jimmy_reed.html

Papa Lightfoot (as "Little Papa Walter" and credited with several LW
songs) http://bluesimages.com/html/posters_papa_lightfoot.html

Howlin' Wolf: http://bluesimages.com/html/posters_howlin_wolf.html

.