My position on positions

I must say, before I joined Harp-l  a few months ago I was blissfully
unaware of positions.  I spend 95% of my time playing traditional Irish
music on low D and normal G diatonic harps.  This is , uncompromisingly,
melody- playing.

To give examples:  on my D harp I play most of my tunes in (wait for it....)
D major. But I play a significant minority of tunes in A major.  These tunes
have this as their home key but have no G# in them.  Cross-harp eh?   I also
play some tunes in what the guitar man would call E minor ( I know better,
but as it works I shut up about it!).  A very few tunes I play in "B minor"
(ditto).  Just one or two tunes I play are in what I would basically call G
major.  These tunes have G as their tonic but they have no C# in them.  For
melody playing on a diatonic, without fancy trickery of any sort, this I
would contest is about as far as it goes.

In an uncanny way, the kind of music I play lends itself to this kind of
approach on the diatonic harp - yet the music predates the instrument by
hundreds of years.  I think it's all to do with modes.....

Oh Lord, I'm going to be picked up on "fancy trickery" aren't I!!   ;-)

Steve Shaw.