Re: Re: 12th position = 1st Flat Position

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IcemanLE@xxxx wrote:
In a message dated 6/12/03 12:04:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
winslowyerxa@xxxx writes:

> This works fine if you are playing a C-harp (no flats in C major)
and
> want to play in F Major (one flat in the scale).
>
> But what if you are playing F minor on a C-harp? F minor has 4
flats,
> so "first flat" is not an accurate description.
>

>At these Augusta brain storming session, we weren't concerned with
>creating a textbook accurate description in a technical/music theory
>sense.
>
>We just wanted to come up with another term that would point towards
>an understanding of position playing.

I understand. But you can also see how it might point away from
understanding for those trying to understand music theory.

>For example, "overblow" is not a technically correct term for what
>is going on, as this is actually a "blow-bend". However, it has
>become accepted as a word describing the technique used to create
>these notes on a diatonic harmonica.

True. However, the fact that overblows work differently on a
harmonica to how they work on trumpets and saxophones isn't much of a
problem. The real problem for harmonica players is that many people
think that "overblow" refers to the high blow bends in Holes 7-10,
which are rather different from the ovberblows in Hole 1-6.

>"Cross Harp" playing does not mean that the harmonica or the player
>is angry, but is a word describing a certain approach to orientation
>on the diatonic.

"Cross" as "angry" is not very common in American usage. Even if it
were, it would not cause any confusion on a musical level. I believe
the term may be borrowed from accordion. Playing a diatonic accordion
in a key other than its designated key is known as cross or crossed
playing. It may have something to do with moving "across" - i.e. from
row to row on a two- or three- row accordion, where instead of a
piano-type keyboard there is a row of buttons that plays a diatonic
scale. It may also be applicable to one-row instruments - I don't
have a good acquaintance with the accordion usage of the term.

>So, "1st Flat Position" is another way of describing an orientation
>that is equal to 12th position. "2nd Flat Position" is 11th
>position, and so on....

Here we do have a strong potential for real musical confusion, for
the reasons that I detailed previously. I say this with some regret
because the "x flat" terminology is convenient and therefore
appealing.

Winslow