Re: 12 position??

s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx writes:
<< I've been playing some kinda straight country & gospel-style tunes
 lately with a group of folks I know.
 Some of the solos I'm working on _seem_ to lie well on a G harp for
 music in the key o' D....
 Is this 12th position, or am I turned around?
 Do any of you use this position (12th or otherwise)?
 Does anyone have any suggestions / help for playing in this position?
 I'm asking because I'm a little surprised at how "accessible" it seems
 to be (so far), considering I rarely hear anyone discuss (playing) it.
 Anybody want to weigh in? >>

if you are on a g-harp, and are playing in the key of d, then you are in
second or cross harp position.  12th position on a g-harp would be key of c.  an
easy way to remember is that the root of 12th is in the second draw bend on
hole 2, or draw 5.  the ~best~ way to remember is to memorize the circle of
fifths, which someone included in a post just last week.
if you want to play in the key of d in 12th, you would use an a-harp.

i play this in the car a lot, and it sounds great.  i never think to use it
when i play out, i guess 'cause i'm more worried about the singing and
remembering words than the harp.  i should work out something in this...

steven j gatorman