12 position??

I've been playing some kinda straight country & gospel-style tunes
lately with a group of folks I know.
Some of the solos I'm working on _seem_ to lie well on a G harp for
music in the key o' D....
Is this 12th position, or am I turned around?
Do any of you use this position (12th or otherwise)?
Does anyone have any suggestions / help for playing in this position?
I'm asking because I'm a little surprised at how "accessible" it seems
to be (so far), considering I rarely hear anyone discuss (playing) it.
Anybody want to weigh in?

- -scorcher